Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies website

Dr PennyStock Forum

Author Topic: $INDU - Dow Jones Industrial Average - INDX  (Read 5933 times)

February 10, 2016, 06:01:16 PM
Read 5933 times

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
Daily Chart: https://schrts.co/qhNppivg

Weekly Chart: https://schrts.co/gwVJnNfr

News: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJI?p=^DJI&.tsrc=fin-srch

Overview: The Dow Jones Industrial Average® is one of the best-known icons of American culture and among stock market observers around the world. The Dow® along with the Dow Jones Transportation Average™ and the Dow Jones Utility Average™ were the world's first market indicators. Each of these three indices represents a select group of prominent U.S. companies. Together, they make up the Dow Jones Composite Average™–a "blue-chip" microcosm of the U.S. stock market.

Roughly two-thirds of the DJIA's 30 component companies are manufacturers of industrial and consumer goods. The others represent industries as diverse as financial services, entertainment and information technology. Even so, the DJIA today serves the same purpose for which it was created – to provide a clear, straightforward view of the stock market and, by extension, the U.S. economy.

When Charles H. Dow first unveiled his industrial stock average on May 26, 1896, the stock market was not highly regarded. Prudent investors bought bonds, which paid predictable amounts of interest and were backed by real machinery, factory buildings and other hard assets.

Today, stocks are widely accepted as investment vehicles, even by conservative investors. The circle of investors has widened far beyond the Wall Street cliques of the past to millions of everyday working men and women. These people are turning to stocks to help them amass capital for their children's college tuition bills and their own retirements. Information to guide them in their investment decisions is now abundantly available.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average played a role in bringing about this tremendous change. One hundred years ago, even people on Wall Street found it difficult to discern from day to day whether the wider stock market was rising, falling or treading water. Charles Dow devised his stock average to make sense out of this confusion. He began in 1884 with 11 stocks, most of them railroads, which were the first great national corporations. He compared his average to placing sticks in the beach sand to determine, wave after successive wave, whether the tide was coming in or going out. If the average's peaks and troughs rose progressively higher then a bull market prevailed; if the peaks and troughs dropped lower and lower, a bear market was on.

It seems simplistic nowadays with the array of market indicators in the public eye, but late in the nineteenth century it was like turning on a powerful new beacon that cut through the fog. The average provided a convenient benchmark for comparing individual stocks to the course of the market, for comparing the market with other indicators of economic conditions, or simply for conversation at the corner of Wall and Broad Streets about the market's direction.

The mechanics of the first stock average were dictated by the necessity of computing it with paper and pencil: Add up the prices and divide by the number of stocks. This application of grade-school arithmetic, while creative, is hardly useful more than a century later. But the very idea of using an index to differentiate the stock market's long-term trends from short-term fluctuations deserves a salute. Without the means for the ordinary investor to follow the broad market, today's age of financial democracy (in which millions of employees are actively directing the investment of their own future pension money and as a result are substantial corporate shareholders) would be unimaginable.

Following the introduction of the 12-stock industrial average in the spring of 1896, Mr. Dow, in the autumn of that year, dropped the last non-railroad stocks in his original index, making it the 20-stock railroad average. The utility average came along in 1929 (more than a quarter-century after Mr. Dow's death at age 51 in 1902) and the railroad average was renamed the transportation average in 1970.

At first, the average was published irregularly, but this changed with the daily publication in The Wall Street Journal, which began on Oct. 7, 1896. In 1916, the industrial average expanded to 20 stocks; the number was raised again, in 1928, to 30, where it remains. Also in 1928, the Journal editors began calculating the average with a special divisor other than the number of stocks, to avoid distortions when constituent companies split their shares or when one stock was substituted for another. Through habit, this index was still identified as an "average."

The 30 stocks now in the Dow Jones Industrial Average are all major factors in their industries, and their stocks are widely held by individuals and institutional investors. Using such large, frequently traded stocks provides an important feature of the Industrial Average: timeliness. At any moment during the trading day, the price of the Dow Jones Industrial Average is based on very recent transactions. This isn't always true with indices that contain less-frequently traded stocks.The Dow Jones Industrial Average is the most-quoted market indicator in newspapers, on television and on the Internet. Because of its longevity, it became the first to be quoted by other publications. This practice became habit when Wall Street earned at least a mention in the general news each day, and habit became tradition when the post-World War II bull market commanded the nation's attention. The Industrial Average became the indicator to cite if you were citing only one. Besides longevity, two other factors play a role in its widespread popularity: It is understandable to most people, and it reliably indicates the market's basic trend.

Dr PennyStock

February 10, 2016, 06:06:36 PM
Reply #1

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
I've decided to open a new thread to the Dow Jones Industrial Average, because it affects all the stocks, since about 2008 - 2009, also penny stocks, I mean OTCBB and Pink Sheets, so it is crucial to analyze it on a daily basis.

Like you saw today, it was going up the most part of the day, but, near the close, it turned down, and, closed red, losing 0.62%.

Anyway, it has made a higher low and a higher high, so a reversal may happen on the next days.
Dr PennyStock

May 10, 2022, 02:09:55 PM
Reply #2

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
As I wrote in the chart below, since the RSI is already practically touching the oversold line, I doubt that price will go lower than the 1st support at 31200. But it may not even get there, and reverse the trend at 31600 - 31500, or even above this level.

The MACD still has more room to fall, and so does the ADX, but as I say above, the RSI should hold the market.

Please take into consideration that the market is extremely difficult to predict, due to the effects of the war in Ukraine. People are afraid of inflation, recession, the fed tightening, the supply problem, etc.

Market analysis on May 5, 2022
Dr PennyStock

May 17, 2022, 05:35:19 PM
Reply #3

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
As I predicted a week ago, the DOW confirmed support at 31200.

I do not expect a strong upward reaction at this level. I think it will go lower again, to perhaps make a double bottom.

Tomorrow I think it will fall, as it is hitting short-term resistance, a trendline.

Market analysis on May 17, 2022
Dr PennyStock

May 18, 2022, 08:37:31 AM
Reply #4

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
I decided to post this daily chart, to complement my analysis from last night, which you can see above.

You can also see my analysis from the 10th, which predicted the support at 31200, which was 100% correct.

The short term resistance that I referred to yesterday, is the line that defines the top of this descending channel.

I think there is a 90% chance that the DOW will go down today, given this resistance.

Market analysis on May 18, 2022
Dr PennyStock

May 19, 2022, 09:55:11 AM
Reply #5

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
The chart, and what I wrote in it, says it all.

I expect a continuation of the decline today, with a possible reversal at 31200, but more possible is a break of that support, and make a new low at 30000 - 29600, today or in the next few days.

Fasten your seatbelts, and get ready, as this is not for sensitive stomachs. A long term bottom or top, always has huge volatility, to put out with all the sellers, usually called "weak hands".

Market analysis on May 19, 2022
Dr PennyStock

May 24, 2022, 01:40:35 PM
Reply #6

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
The Dow Jones made a spectacular recovery today. After being down about 400 points, it just tested the high of the day, and completely recovered the loss.

The market is showing signs of trend reversal, and it is possible that at any time we could have a recovery to 33750 - 34700.

Market analysis on May 24, 2022
Dr PennyStock

June 07, 2022, 10:14:24 AM
Reply #7

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
As I say on the chart, the DOW is at a point of indecision, and will most likely pull back a bit, to 32700 - 32300, and then gain strength to break the 50MA.

As I predicted in my May 24 analysis, the DOW made a big recovery, but, was stopped 450 points below my target. However, I think that after a small pullback, it will go there.

Market analysis on June 07, 2022
Dr PennyStock