Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies website

Dr PennyStock Forum

Author Topic: stockwatcher questions  (Read 7406 times)

July 17, 2012, 10:13:23 AM
Read 7406 times

Dasein

I might have a set of stockwatcher questions, but my first is this:

I want to run stockwatcher at work, but the admins have things locked down pretty tight. Does anybody know if I can run stock watcher from drop box or an external drive? thanks ahead of time.

July 17, 2012, 11:38:40 AM
Reply #1

Dr PennyStock

Administrator
I can't help you, I do not use it. Sorry.
Dr PennyStock

July 17, 2012, 09:08:52 PM
Reply #2

Dasein

Thanks doc. I thought this was what you used linked to your tda account. I might have the name wrong, away from my pc.

July 20, 2012, 01:30:23 PM
Reply #3

Dr PennyStock

Administrator

Thanks doc. I thought this was what you used linked to your tda account. I might have the name wrong, away from my pc.

This is what I use since 1999 - 2000: http://www.quotetracker.com
Dr PennyStock

July 21, 2012, 10:52:47 AM
Reply #4

Dasein

Got it. For some reason quotetracker was on my desktop with the name "stockwatcher." Not certain what was going on there. Same program though and connected to my TDA account.

Now I am wondering if there is a techie type that can answer this question:

One of the difficulties of keeping an eye on the stocks at work is I can't download the program onto the work machine because of admin rights. What I want to do is to download it to something portable (external HD, jumpdrive, or dropbox would be best) and then literally run the program from that location. This would side step having to download it onto my machine.

Anyone with skills in the area know whether or not this would work?

July 22, 2012, 11:13:03 AM
Reply #5

cbenitez

Got it. For some reason quotetracker was on my desktop with the name "stockwatcher." Not certain what was going on there. Same program though and connected to my TDA account.

One of the difficulties of keeping an eye on the stocks at work is I can't download the program onto the work machine because of admin rights. What I want to do is to download it to something portable (external HD, jumpdrive, or dropbox would be best) and then literally run the program from that location. This would side step having to download it onto my machine.

Dasein, are you familiar with the linux operating system "Ubuntu"? Ok if you're not just google it. Anyways, I once installed that operating system to a USB memory stick (you have to partition the memory on the stick  in a certain way). Once you install Ubuntu on the stick make sure it is in "persistent mode" so that any settings you set in the operating system get saved to the memory.

Now that you have Ubuntu installed on the memory stick and with the memory stick inserted in the USB port, you can literally boot up ANY computer from the USB drive location and run Ubuntu off of that drive as an entirely different operating system. The rest of the computer will not be affected at all since the hard drive for Ubuntu is the memory stick.

Now that you're running Ubuntu on the stick download  a "Wine" app and save it to your Ubuntu hard drive. The Wine app is a windows program emulator that will allow you to run windows programs in Ubuntu.

Now you're all set to run your TDA program from your work computer!

I'd use a 16Gb and higher memory stick for this. The Ubuntu website has tons of information on how to do all of what I just explained to you.

Good luck!

July 22, 2012, 05:23:05 PM
Reply #6

GoopCannon

Dasein, are you familiar with the linux operating system "Ubuntu"? Ok if you're not just google it. Anyways, I once installed that operating system to a USB memory stick (you have to partition the memory on the stick  in a certain way). Once you install Ubuntu on the stick make sure it is in "persistent mode" so that any settings you set in the operating system get saved to the memory.

Now that you have Ubuntu installed on the memory stick and with the memory stick inserted in the USB port, you can literally boot up ANY computer from the USB drive location and run Ubuntu off of that drive as an entirely different operating system. The rest of the computer will not be affected at all since the hard drive for Ubuntu is the memory stick.

Now that you're running Ubuntu on the stick download  a "Wine" app and save it to your Ubuntu hard drive. The Wine app is a windows program emulator that will allow you to run windows programs in Ubuntu.

Now you're all set to run your TDA program from your work computer!

I'd use a 16Gb and higher memory stick for this. The Ubuntu website has tons of information on how to do all of what I just explained to you.

Good luck!

This is also going to be a feature of Windows 8 (have to wait until Oct tho). Or get the consumer preview version (available now).

July 22, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
Reply #7

Dasein

Gives me a reason to play with linux. This should help with other programs I want to run as well.

July 22, 2012, 09:01:30 PM
Reply #8

Dasein

The only issue will be I won't have my "work machine" running at the same time. We'll see. Maybe I can find an unsuspecting tech guy...